Conversations Magazine's #BooksYouNeedtoRead Issue

Conversations Magazine's #BooksYouNeedtoRead Issue

Saturday, August 10, 2024

AUTHOR SPOTLIGHT: Lakeasha Williams, author of SHINE ON BROWN GIRL


by Cyrus Webb

Lakeasha, we are glad to have you as part of our Books You Need to Read campaign. When did you realize the power of books for yourself?

Thank you so much for having me. I first realized the power of books in elementary school. I absolutely loved to read. I think for me it represented a different way of being. I enjoyed getting to see a different way of living life. I would become immersed in the books that I read and imagined myself as some of the characters. 

As an author, what has it been like to share that power with your own readers?

As an author, I write for young readers to know that their stories are just as important as others. My focus is on culturally diverse books with stories that mirror the lives of our children. When I was a child I never read a book with characters like me or who share similar stories. I think it’s important for young readers to see themselves in books. Representation matters. 

I also write for adults as well. Similarly I want adults to know that their journey is just as important as others. I believe in supporting the process of growth and transformation to mitigate feelings of hopelessness and despair. My adult books thus far are focused on perseverance, resilience, and leadership development.

Your debut children’s book is called SHINE ON BROWN GIRL. What inspired it?

I did a poem with the black and brown girls in my school titled, Brown Girl Brown Girl, which was an ode to the election of VP Kamala Harris. That video went viral for two main reasons. Millions felt that I was indoctrinating the children, were comparing me to Hitler, said I should be fired, and even sent me death threats. However, there were millions of people who were inspired, applauded our efforts to focus on culturally responsive education, and knew that representation mattered. My girls and entire school community were excited to be recognized for our school improvement efforts. I knew that I needed to do more to represent diversity and inclusion for our children.  After already experiencing success with my first book, Still I Thrive, I decided my second book would be my first children’s book honoring my black and brown girls. Hence, Shine On Brown Girl was born. 

We should let our readers know it’s more than just a book. It’s a rallying call for individuals of all ages and races. What has it been like for you to share that message of knowing yourself?

This has been a transformative experience for me. It is critical for everyone to know that it is only when we can understand and empathize with other people’s human experiences that we can focus on making this world equitable for all. When oppressed children know who they are it allows them to achieve their highest potential.

Tell us about your own journey of self-discovery, Lakeasha. When did you start realizing your own worth and value?

I think my upbringing gave me my sense of worth and value from a very young age. My parents often spoke with us about current events so I was aware of the inequities that existed in the world and my community. But my parents also gave me hope. They wanted a different life for their children, and so I always knew that there was another way of being. Although society will tell poor black and brown children something different, I knew better. 


One thing we haven’t talked about before is the way your children motivate you. On social media we have seen you all travel together, even overseas. What has it been like to have their support and share this journey with them?

My children, two adult men now (laughs), give me absolute JOY. Motherhood means more to me than any accomplishment could ever. I coined the phrase, we went from ABCs and 123s to college degrees and LLCs. I literally gave birth to my business partners. My sons inspire me to do better. We’ve been a team, The Dream Team, forever and we’ll continue to support each other in all aspects of life. 

What message would you have for aspiring authors when it comes to knowing who they are and sharing that with others?

No one gets to define you. You define you. All stories matter. You have a story to tell that someone needs to hear. Embrace all seasons of your life because there’s lessons to be learned during your winter, spring, summer, and fall. Continue to network and form partnerships with like minded individuals because that will determine your impact and net worth. 

Great catching up again, Lakeasha. How can readers stay connected with you? 

Thank you so much for always being so supportive. Readers can stay connected with me in the following ways:

Website: www.brickhouseunlimited.com

Email: info@brickhouseunlimited.com 

Instagram: coach_shineonlakeasha 

Linkedln: http://linkedin.com/in/lakeasha-williams-019a7415

No comments: